Sunday, October 01, 2006

These are depressing to update when you lose.

I had a bad run at the HU SNGs; after about seventy I'm a little above even. Not that bad, but I'm still not sure where my leaks are, so I moved on. I did some sessions at 25 NL and lost about $50, one a full buyin on AK vs 85 where he had middle pair and caught two pair on the river, and the others assorted losses. I dropped more playing a $20 MTT at Stars, gave a $20 SNG a shot (I'd been wanting to do that for a while, but losing still hurt.) and played in some lower MTTs. Overall I went down about $150 over a week or so. Downswings are inevitable, etc, but I still think I was playing poorly. Not the cards per se (I'm sure I have leaks, but there's nothing I think back on and wonder how utterly stupid I could have been to do that.) but rather the stakes. Okay, the $20 SNG was something I've wanted to do for a while, but a $20 MTT? I have no business in those. (I'm not too upset about trying to 25 NL either; that was going to happen eventually.)

Anyway, I've decided to restrict myself to the 5.00+fee MTTs for the foreseeable future (Up for last-longer pots, though; I tend to view the PTips assaults more as entertainment than something I count against my roll.) and I've been looking for a game to build my roll with.

I think I've found it: Five card draw, poker from the days of yore. Hustlr turned me on to it (Big props for that, and giving me tips) at Paradise and CarnavalPokerBet.com (email me for rakeback at Carnaval.)

Since Thursday I've played a little over eleven hours (three or so of that playing two tables to clear Paradise's bonus) and I'm up $86.90. It's 1-2 limit with two betting rounds. That's 4BB/hr for a game I just learned to play. I'm kind of excited. (Yes, it could be variance; I had a session where I dropped almost $50. Earlier that day, though, I was up over $60. I'm still making mistakes, missing value and paying off when I shouldn't.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home