Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Sigh

Managed to donk off another couple buyins. Flopped a set against KK, then got so excited that I overcalled two pushes on AK4Q board. JT. Dammit. (KK is my biggest loser currently. I need to learn to fold big pairs. I thought I was getting better. Nope.) JJ on T43 two suits. He pushes. That smells like semibluff. Call. Fours up. Frown. Add some general shenanigans, and I'm down $150 over the last couple days. That's kind of okay, because my upswing outlasted that, but it's still stupid, because I'm just making stupid mistakes and throwing money away. Variance doesn't help, but I should be able to get away from hands that I'm clearly beaten on.

I need to work on folding hands that were ahead on the flop that are behind on the river, particularly to straights.

I need to hammer out basic preflop strategy (e.g. what I raise with in what position, and what I limp with, then how to adjust it) instead of more or less winging it.

I need to raise more preflop.

I need to learn to extract value from my premium hands. Many times I raise 4x with (good hand X) and make a continuation bet to have people fold. That's good because it lets me get away with T high, but I need to figure out a way to get more out of them. This also applies to sets; check/calling and raising the river is probably not optimal.

I need to stop playing when I'm in a state that I can't play winning poker in.

I am happy that I'm more aggressive postflop, and that my preflop aggression is going up.

I am happy that I've figured out what game I want to master, and that I have a plan for moving up. (6 max 25 NL; starting with $625. At $1250, take $250 to 50 NL to see what happens.)

I am happy that I have gotten much better at restealing post-flop.

I'm happy that I'm scouring my game for leaks.

I'm happy that I've incorporated PAHUD into my play.

I'm going to spend at least 25k hands at this level.* I need to figure out what I'm doing wrong and how to fix it before I move up. It's not really losing the money that irritates me; money is nice and all, but a) I'm still ahead and b) I'm not withdrawing anything anyway. It's just a way to keep score, and governs when I can move up to 50.

On Sunday, I wanted to be at 50 by Christmas. Now, I think I'll be lucky to be there by summer. That's what irritates me the most.

That felt healthy.

Sleep now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home