Monday, November 13, 2006

Tired of living like a blind man

Was actually crushing the tables today, but ran into overpair vs set again.

I had KK on the BB, UTG+1 raises to $1.25 and CO calls. I reraise to $3 (Perhaps too small against two callers) and they both call. Flop is Jh Th 2c. I bet $6, original raiser folds, CO minraises to $12.

Now, the CO had only been at the table for 20 hands or so, so I don't have much read on him, but he did repop my continuation bet earlier in the session. I figured he had AJ, AT, AK, a pocket pair, a set, or a draw. I pushed, because I thought AJ might call, the nut flush draw might think I was bluffing and call, or he might think something like 88 was legitimately the best hand and call.

This is a mistake for several reasons. I didn't want to smooth call and have a heart, seven, nine, queen, or ace fall and be in for a hard decision. Hell, even a king would be potentially bad, so I felt I had to raise or fold. Given his earlier willingness to play back at me I decided he could have a jack, a draw, or air, and just pushed. He only had $15 back, so any raise would be putting me in anyway.*

I neglected to realize he had smooth called two raises, which is more or less screaming pocket pair, and that people do minraise the nuts to trap. He called and sure enough, had jacks.

*I think this logic is getting me into trouble, but I'm not sure how to go about playing bet/threebet in situations like this. Like, in this situation, if I raise, twelve to go leaves him three back, and he's pushing probably anything. I guess I could flat call and evaluate the turn, but he has position so if I check a scare card he can represent it. I suppose I could check and fold to scare cards and bet again if the turn bricks, but that still feels weak.

Grr.

Commentary welcome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home