Saturday, November 11, 2006

Yay, upswing

Some bouncing back, catching some cards. I'm sort of unsure how to handle it, because I was just on a fairly long dry spell and getting outdrawn like crazy, so I'm not sure if I'm just getting lucky or what. I'm still having calling stations draw out on me (I was called on the flop by Q high no draw with sixes up and he made runner runner queens up with no onboard pair.) but havn't done anything incredibly stupid. (Marginally stupid, yes; see J9 below.)

I noticed I steal less when I'm catching cards. I think that's somewhat good; I tend to bet made hands fairly aggressively for several reasons. First, I bet with air in about the same way, and don't want to tip people off. Second, people who are chasing will chase 2/3-3/4 about as often as they'll chase something like a 60% pot bet. Third, I like big pots because I want to have my river push* called and I need a sizable pot to do that.

*push with something like top two or better. Not TPTK.

Betting in such a way means that, combined with my steals, I pick up a lot of pots without turning over my cards, and when I'm running hot, that's a lot of raising, and I don't want some idiot playing policeman unless I actually have a hand. So while I think stealing less is good, I think I need to find a happy medium.

Anyway, I quit playing a bit early after this hand:

Background information: I hadn't been at this table long, but I busted a shorter stack turning a straight after he flopped trips, and then took a decent pot off BMontagne after I raised with 33, he reraised, I called, he checked on T95 rainbow, I checked behind, turn is a 3, he bets 2/3, I call, river is a 4, he checks, I push, he folds. In between this, I'd been doing some positional raising with Ax, Kx, missing, c-betting anyway, and folding to a raise. He was actually at about $125 when I sat down.

POKERSTARS GAME #6990844989: HOLD'EM NO LIMIT ($0.10/$0.25) - 2006/11/12 - 01:42:06 (ET)
Table 'Cebriones' 6-max Seat #5 is the button
Seat 1: kingcy ($41.25 in chips)
Seat 2: Profesigh ($30.55 in chips)
Seat 3: PLHCOWBOY2 ($6.70 in chips)
Seat 4: WolfOnTheFol ($51.05 in chips)
Seat 5: beargood ($38.40 in chips)
Seat 6: BMontagne ($75.90 in chips)
BMontagne: posts small blind $0.10
kingcy: posts big blind $0.25
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to WolfOnTheFol [5d 4d]
Profesigh: folds
PLHCOWBOY2: folds
WolfOnTheFol: raises $0.75 to $1
beargood: folds
BMontagne: calls $0.90
kingcy: folds
*** FLOP *** [Kd 4s 3d]
BMontagne: checks
WolfOnTheFol: bets $1.50
BMontagne: raises $4.50 to $6
WolfOnTheFol: calls $4.50

Okay, the raise was a pure steal because I hadn't played a hand in three orbits, but I thought my continuation bet wouldn't get much respect from ace high. However, I have middle pair and a flush draw, so I bet. I thought his raise was Kx or a strong ace, and was going to either bet 2/3 or raise if the turn was lower than a T and fold if he showed any action after that, or bet if I caught a four, three, or diamond.

*** TURN *** [Kd 4s 3d] [9d]
BMontagne: bets $9
WolfOnTheFol: raises $35.05 to $44.05 and is all-in

That was a fairly small bet; at this point I thought he had a king and a high diamond, Ad 9x, or he was trying to represent trapping with a flush. If he actually had a higher flush, that was just going to be unfortunate and I would go broke. If he was drawing to a high diamond, I was going to be in trouble if I called or raised a smaller amount and the river was a diamond. I decided to just push, because if he had a diamond I wanted to get the money in ahead, and after the previous hand I thought he would call with a wide range.

BMontagne: calls $35.05
*** RIVER *** [Kd 4s 3d 9d] [Kh]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
BMontagne: shows [6s 6h] (two pair, Kings and Sixes)
WolfOnTheFol: shows [5d 4d] (a flush, King high)
WolfOnTheFol collected $99.35 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $102.35 | Rake $3
Board [Kd 4s 3d 9d Kh]
Seat 1: kingcy (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 2: Profesigh folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: PLHCOWBOY2 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: WolfOnTheFol showed [5d 4d] and won ($99.35) with a flush, King high
Seat 5: beargood (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: BMontagne (small blind) showed [6s 6h] and lost with two pair, Kings and Sixes

O.O I thought he'd have at least a nine, but I guess my image is crazier than I thought. Good to know, at least.

Nothing too exciting I guess but whee I think that's the biggest pot I've ever won in a cash game.

PTips NLHE tournament tomorrow. I'm probably gonna minraise some people to death. They know who they are. If anyone reads this and emails me (max period mccall at gmail period com) or IMs me (Frogboy4L on AIM) a way to record it by noon tomorrow, I'll do that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home