Tuesday, November 28, 2006

50 NL

Sorry for no updateageness, Thanksgiving + homework + snow = busy.

I have decided to take a shot at 50 NL. If I drop five buyins, I'll call it quits and slink back to 25.

I played two tables for a little over an hour just now; ended up down $16. Some fairly wacky shit was involved; I triple barreled a guy who couldn't quite make himself fold TPNK and had to show down queen high, but I picked up KK a couple hands later and apparently he thought I was loose enough that he put his money in on a gutshot + ace high on the turn. That was entertaining until he made the straight. I also flopped a set with 44 on 432 and got all in with A5, which was frowns for a second, then I turned a boat and all was well. I guess those two hands roughly cancel each other out. (Oh, I also had aces and the board went runner runner onboard straight against 44, which is completely not fair considering the amount of times I get crushed with pair vs higher pair.)

As for actual hands...

POKERSTARS GAME #7215847774: HOLD'EM NO LIMIT ($0.25/$0.50) - 2006/11/28 - 18:50:59 (ET)
Table 'Grus V' 6-max Seat #4 is the button
Seat 1: CrackedMax ($57.15 in chips)
Seat 2: ty4tilt ($88.65 in chips)
Seat 3: noh0pe ($49.75 in chips)
Seat 4: pwalsh21 ($49.25 in chips)
Seat 5: FoofChunk ($75.40 in chips)
Seat 6: WolfOnTheFol ($68.85 in chips)
FoofChunk: posts small blind $0.25
WolfOnTheFol: posts big blind $0.50
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to WolfOnTheFol [Kh Qc]
CrackedMax: folds
ty4tilt: folds
noh0pe: folds
pwalsh21: folds
FoofChunk: raises $1.50 to $2
WolfOnTheFol: calls $1.50
*** FLOP *** [6c Tc Kc]
FoofChunk: bets $3
WolfOnTheFol: raises $9 to $12
FoofChunk: raises $58 to $70
WolfOnTheFol: calls $54.85 and is all-in
*** TURN *** [6c Tc Kc] [Jd]
*** RIVER *** [6c Tc Kc Jd] [8h]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
FoofChunk: shows [Ts Ac] (a pair of Tens)
WolfOnTheFol: shows [Kh Qc] (a pair of Kings)
WolfOnTheFol collected $134.70 from pot

This guy was 15/10/2.25 over about seventy hands, and was being fairly passive. I was pretty sure that I could take the pot away from him if no ace came. The flop was interesting. I had planned to raise regardless, and my standard raise on monotone flops is a little less than the pot to go anyway. His push was interesting; I was almost certain he didn't have the flush unless he had AJ of clubs, because half the paint was accounted for, and I doubt he raised random suited connectors. I figured I was either way ahead of his pair, ahead of his NFD, flipping with his AK or pair + NFD, or very rarely getting crushed by AcKx or the made flush. If I have his cards, pretty much the same thing happens, so that's a wash, but this was after I'd gotten semistacked with KK and did in fact get stacked with sixes against a set of sevens, and it would have been quite the confidence blow to lose this one.

Fortunately, I didn't. :P.

I rammed a couple pairs into overpairs, which is unfortunate but hard to get away from, especially if there's a significant chance they have middle pair or overs, particularly if TP is like a 7-T. People still have far too much respect for continuation bets, which is entertaining if confusing. It basically feels like the NL 25 games except for larger numbers. I still don't have an online banking system (somehow I lost my social security card, and Neteller wants a scan) but I think I may consolidate the rolls I have on Carnaval and PokesPoker and add a little and just play NL 50 even if I do lose the five buyins. I'm pretty sure I can beat the level, and I was generally happy with how I was playing today. I'm still working on getting away from higher pocket pairs, but if I can give them a couple likely holdings I'm okay with dropping some money to them. (playing for stacks, not so much.) I also occasionally forget to take opponent stack sizes into account; sometimes people only have half a buyin or so and I set it up so that I'd be pushing the river for a PSB and all of a sudden my flop raise is being threebet all in for like $8 more and I'm like "what the hell? Oh, whoops."

It was also amusing to see "flop aggression: 38" in PT after I checked my first flop about 35 minutes in. Just saying.

Oh, and some people decided that they'd be cool and bet like a fifth to a tenth of the pot sometimes. I have no idea what the hell they're thinking, although I think it's usually a draw trying to see more cards cheaply. I've been jamming pot-sized raises in their face as my standard line, which is working well, but I'm curious what others think.

Probably going to move to three tables later tonight. I'll post if I do.

1 Comments:

Blogger Wally McMillan said...

I noticed that AcAx or just AA in general didn't come into your hand possibilities. To me, that seems like a REAL REAL likely hand in that scenario.

7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home