Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Er, yeah.

cliffs notes: two sessions. Dropped three buyins in one, won four in the second. um, how lucky.

(oh, shads has a blog now, and updates it more often than certain other miscreants. go check it out)

So I played two sessions today. I tried to post about the first one when it was over, but I couldn't. Here's that one:

Yep. I was a little impressed by how quickly I managed to drop a buyin at 50 NL when I first sat down (In about two minutes on three tables, a steal didn't work out, I was outdrawn, and a reraise with AT went south for a net of down just under a buyin.) so after I made it back to even on the day I decided that before I stopped, I'd see how fast I could drop three.

Now, for clarity, there wasn't any point where I did something, lost a pot, and was like "God, that was stupid." I was playing fairly aggressively but it was working out well for the most part; I just got involved in some big pots where I felt I had a marginal edge.

Only 20 hands or so with this guy, so no real reads. I spent forever on my time bank on the river and finally decided I was winning one time in three. I wasn't sure about that play at the time, but I think I was being results oriented; he definitely has a strong three or two pair at least a third of the time.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?640275

This was quite strange. Like, his range there is the flush, the straight, a strong ace, two pair, etc. I'd call him heads up, but I dunno what the hell the guy behind me is going to do. He played pretty passively, but he flopped a boat an orbit ago and was pretty passive on that. He might've missed a spade draw. I didn't want to flat call and have the guy behind raise, and I didn't want to raise. I ultimately think folding is weak, but I couldn't make myself call.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?640277

This guy had floated me earlier, and I thought he was trying to steal. I think he has an overpair, TPTK, or a naked eight way more than the made straight.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?640272


All three of those hands were in my last thirty or so, which was cheerful. I'm not really unhappy with my play, although I think I may become everything I've ever hated and avoid high variance marginally +ev situations. (I hate it when people advocate doing that, but I also have a limited 'bankroll' for this shot at 50, so, um, yeah.)

I can't even bitch that much about not sucking out when other people are outflopping me because I've now outdrawn flopped straights with sets for stacks twice. Heh on me.

I was generally playing well. For a while I had a guy on my right who was playing pretty much the same way I was, which was pretty awesome when I started restealing and check-raising his continuation bets, knowing how likely it was for him to have air. He left after I had taken about half a stack from him in steal attempts.

It's a little irritating to be down three buyins and not really seeing any glaring mistakes, because I'm pretty sure I'm screwing up somewhere. Still, though, I think my play is fine. I'd like to start reraising preflop more (The one thing I've noticed about 50 is that squeezing is more common) but I'm generally happy with my postflop play.

Shrug. There'll be more poker tomorrow. Update then.

Then I planned to do homework, and it started snowing and everyone was screaming about it so I couldn't really study in the lounge, and thus I returned to my room. Somewhere in between calculus was decided to be just not that fun and I broke my rule of "-3 buyins = sleep on it." I felt I hadn't really made any terrible plays and wasn't close to tilting.

I sat down and actually got a bit worried because I was getting zero respect, then realized two of the four tables had a LAG who was determined to be more aggressive than I am and the other two had calling stations. *shift into TAG mode*

Some small history here: I'd raised once and he check-raised my c-bet. I thought for a while before laying it down (it was something like middle pair or TPNK) and he said something along the lines of him knowing I had air. Regardless, I was quiet for a few orbits and had taken two of his steal attempts away from him on the flop when this came up. I was just floating on the flop and turn, then kind of fell into the nuts. I guess I get stacked in his shoes too, but it was nice.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?640632

This guy was being fairly aggressive and wasn't rolling over and dying to my continuation bets. The call was mostly for suited connector value, but I'll take top two. His minraise could've been a set, but I think he flat calls and tries to hang me on the turn with one, so I figured him for JJ+ and put him in. About had a heart attack when the second two came.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?640637

Mostly just picking up a big blind special, but I might've been too passive on that river. I couldn't fathom how two people would be in there; I guess one might've been drawing and the other TPTK or overpair, but two pair was looking awful small on that board. I'm not sure what I'dve done if thuber raised that river. I think I'd call, but I'd have been sick doing it.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?640639

I dunno if I see monsters everywhere or what, but I've been giving people too much credit for sets and overpairs and whatnot. It's probably subconscious because I tend to stack off mostly to those kinds of hands, but that hand makes me wonder if it's affecting how I play. I bet a $20 bet on the river yields just as much value and doesn't look nearly so scared.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home