Thursday, November 30, 2006

shrug

Dropped two buyins. Not the worst thing ever, but I set over set some poor bastard for his stack, so it's really like dropping three. I was only playing for stacks twice, once with the nut flush and once with as follows:

I have A8s from UTG+1. Effective stacks $50. I raise to $2. Blinds call. Flop J53 two hearts. Blinds check, I bet $4.50. Small blind folds, BB check-min-raises. Now, this is interesting, because this fine fellow had played back at two of my previous raises and I had folded. I threebet to $25 and he calls. Well, damn, I guess he has something. Turn is Ah. He checks. Fuck. I doubt he has the flush because he jams my threebet, but I'd have a hard time representing it too. The problem is that his range here is Jx, maybe a five, maybe an ace. If I shove, he has to fold two times in five for it to be +ev, which is probably most of his J and 5 holdings. He may call with jacks, as well.

He could have a set. He could have been playing back at me with a better ace.

Fuck.

That all flashes through my mind and I push for $23, figuring it's high variance but has a higher ev than check/folding.

He calls. J5.

I guess I found out he'd been playing back at me.

That was unfortunate.

Aside from that hand, nothing was really that great. I think I was threebetting a little more than I should've, but by the same token it felt like a lot of my raises were being picked off. There's probably a line to walk, but I havn't figured it out yet. Still, most of my losses were smallish pots involving me stealing the blinds, c-betting, and being called down or whatnot. There were some drawing hands that didn't quite pan out, too.

So I'm back to even after eleven hundred hands. It could be worse, but it could be better, too. My style is fairly high variance naturally (35/24/3, wanna fight?) but I've been compounding that. I'm generally on the plus side of the coinflips I get in, but with an effective bankroll of five buyins (remember, taking a shot), that might be pushing my luck.

Such is life, I guess. I'm a bit concerned because basically my progress is something like bleed bleed SCORE bleed bleed bleed DEEPSTACKED DOUBLE UP etc but obviously my sample size is tiny as hell. I also don't really remember all the times my continuation bets work and keep it in my head when they get beat, so that's skewing my thinking.

I like these stakes.

1 Comments:

Blogger Shads said...

Walking the line is hard but once you get near it you will just run over the table. FWIW I push there too. :) GL man.

4:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home