Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Stop slowplaying. Honestly.

I'm pretty sure if I sat down and did the math, there'd be less money in slowplaying than in betting your made hands because I bet the extra money from that extra street more than accounts for taking it down on the flop. Besides, if you don't bet your made hands, how the hell are you going to bluff successfully?

Besides, this kinda thing happens:

POKERSTARS GAME #7329581961: HOLD'EM NO LIMIT ($0.10/$0.25) - 2006/12/06 - 19:40:17 (ET)
Table 'Megrez IV' 6-max Seat #4 is the button
Seat 2: drewlo12 ($9.20 in chips)
Seat 3: DeadDrawin ($80.20 in chips)
Seat 4: JCUnit ($25 in chips)
Seat 5: Wiesio ($32.60 in chips)
Seat 6: WolfOnTheFol ($26.95 in chips)
Wiesio: posts small blind $0.10
WolfOnTheFol: posts big blind $0.25
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to WolfOnTheFol [5c 6d]
drewlo12: folds
DeadDrawin: raises $1 to $1.25
JCUnit: folds
Wiesio: folds
WolfOnTheFol: calls $1
*** FLOP *** [7d 4h Kc]
WolfOnTheFol: checks
DeadDrawin: checks
*** TURN *** [7d 4h Kc] [3h]
WolfOnTheFol: bets $1.75
DeadDrawin: raises $3 to $4.75
WolfOnTheFol: raises $7.25 to $12
DeadDrawin: raises $66.95 to $78.95 and is all-in
WolfOnTheFol: calls $13.70 and is all-in
*** RIVER *** [7d 4h Kc 3h] [6s]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
WolfOnTheFol: shows [5c 6d] (a straight, Three to Seven)
DeadDrawin: mucks hand
WolfOnTheFol collected $52 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $54 | Rake $2
Board [7d 4h Kc 3h 6s]
Seat 2: drewlo12 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: DeadDrawin mucked [7h 7c]
Seat 4: JCUnit (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: Wiesio (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 6: WolfOnTheFol (big blind) showed [5c 6d] and won ($52) with a straight, Three to Seven

(The preflop call was because the guy was 35/25 and was shutting down on later streets.) Yeah, I got lucky to have the straight to his set, but it would have been "wrong" for me to call on the flop if he bets there. I'd call anyway for implied odds, but he would've looked and felt less like a damn fool.

I also mauled some poor outkicked bastard with KJ to QJ on JJ9, but that's not really his fault. (well, he did raise from UTG+1, but heh.)

Up four buyins today, which makes me happy because it really validates my opinion that I've been playing really well lately. I've been doing a lot more stuff on the turn and getting friendly with the second barrel (and third) again and it's been working out. I've been floating more and betting more rivers with air and it's awesome. I've actually scaled back on my preflop raising quite a bit; I still whack people with the position stick but just stealing and cbetting isn't really cutting it. Taking pots away on the river is far more lucrative.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home