Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Update

If you're bluffing and your raise on the flop or turn is called, check/fold it down unless you have a really awesome reason. Like, super awesome. Middle pair can more or less be considered a bluff here unless you think they're drawing and the turn and river both bricked.

I've been generally aware of this principle, but I've been applying it more and saving money.

I've revised my stance on the second and third barrels from "use only in case of emergency" to "keep them at hand, just don't go spewing chips all over the table."

My stance on floating preflop raisers on the turn and river remains: it's awesome. Delayed checkraises almost always elicit a long pause and then a fold. Interestingly, it's almost always a pause until the "you have eight seconds left to act zomg!" thing pops up then they fold. I'm down with the whole wait and pretend to think thing, but at least mix it up.

Um, yeah. Today was basically a good one. Damnfool idiocy was kept to a minimum, which is always the primary goal, and some money got made in the offing, which is also a primary goal.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?667420

I wanted to fold that so badly, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. The limp-raise preflop elicited a "what the hell?" and then on the flop I had a bad feeling about it, but figured he could have TT-AA, which is more or less a flip, except with dead money. TT-JJ are probably not limp-raise candidates so much as QQ+, but I figured they canceled each other out anyway. I dunno. The little voice was saying fold, and I think I fold to a full stack there, but he wasn't betting enough to drive me off.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?667429

Hands like these are why I don't slowplay except very unusual situations. I thought about raising the flop and looking to fourbet all in, but I thought I might be able to get both of them for a decent pot. I think that's +ev compared to trying to push or not; most hands that threebet are probably calling the push, so the folding equity is close to nil and so it's a glorified coinflip with probably only one guy as opposed to a decent pot with both of them in it.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?667438

I'm not sure where to draw the line between completing and raising when it's the button, me, and the big blind. Obviously the raise drives people off and whatnot, but I'm woefully out of position and probably have about as good a chance taking the blinds by just betting postflop. I mostly mix it up, but here I'd been quiet for a while and bumped it. Betting TPNK on every street for value feels really weird, but this guy was calling down with ace high so I felt I was ahead. Calling stations are strange beasts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home